Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fireing up the smoker

Today I'll be using the "Minion" method to start the smoker. This
method was created by Jim Minion a competition barbecue cook. He found
that adding a small amount of lit coal on top of a full chamber of
unlit coal gave many more hours of cooking with consistent
temperature, part of the method is also to add the meat right away
when you assemble the cooker that way you are starting to cook in
about 20 minutes rather than 1 hour. As you see in the picture I have
added wood chips between the layers of coal. He last couple of cooks I
have added foil balls filled with chips, let's see if this method is
better. Ideally one should use wood chunks but I have not been able to
find chunks of oak, so therefore I'm using apple and hickory today 3
parts apple and 1 part hickory.

No comments:

Post a Comment