Thursday, September 24, 2009

Well, I made it, jippi!!!!!!!!

It was very close but I made it to the gate in time and the flight to
Kansas City. We were 40 minutes late flying into Washinton and after
getting off the plane I walked as fast as I could towards imigration.
What I didn't know since this was the first time flying in to
Washinton was that in order to get to imigration you have to take one
of those funny buses that I talked about earlier. The thing is that
there are two kinds of buses on the airport, one that have an entrence
in one end and the exit in the opposite end and this one that has the
entrance and exit on the same side, but that I didn't know so when
entering the bus as one of the first I went all the way to the back
which I thought would be the exit once we arrived to the terminal, BIG
mistake. As I was in the back of the bus I was also one of the last to
get off and therfore I ended up at the end of the line in imigration.
It also must have been more international flights landing at the same
time because the lines at imigration was long and it took a good half
hour to get through. By the time I exited the imigration and customs
it was less than 20 minutes left until the next flight. Luckilly the
gate was in the same terminal as I was so I didn't need to take
another bus but it was at gate D14 and I was at the C gates and the
monitors said that they had started to board already and I didn't have
a boarding card yet. But I said to myself let's try to make it and
started to run in zig zag between all the people in the terminal. Once
I arrived at the gate people was going on to the plane and I looked at
the monitor and it said that the flight had checked in full so I was
not expeting to get on board but after the last passenger had left the
gate I talked to the gate peronal and they had emty seats so I was
able to go onboard the plane as the last passenger. I was sweating
allot after my long run but at least I made it. Next time I go to
Europe is in the beginning of November but after that I hope that I
don't have to travel internationally for a couple of months. This
stress can not be good for my heart ;o) just kidding, but getting
through imigration and customs takes a long time sometimes and if you
incoming flight is late like today you are basically screwed. Since it
also was the first time coming in via Washington I wasn't sure where
everything was, in Chicago I know every corner so there I know how and
where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment